Sunday, September 18, 2011

Weblog Journal Assignment 2

My personal identity is most reflected through a small collection of books I keep down at school. While too long to specifically enumerate, there are a few that are particularly revealing. My absolute favorite book, which I read at least once or twice a year, is the Autobiography of Malcolm X; I also have a poster to accompany it. Obviously, many of Malcolm's actions and teachings are not particularly relevant to me, in a strict sense. However, the attitude behind the actions are very defining. Malcolm's life was a series of transformations and rebirths. He was extremely steadfast in his actions and beliefs, carrying no fear of his own freedom of expression. He was not, though, adverse to change. Upon recognition of a negative worldview/series of actions/belief system/etc, he did not hesitate to admit his wrong and shift his view. I very much identify (and admire) these traits - willingness to transform/self betterment, conviction to beliefs but maintaining a willingness to admit a wrong and alter beliefs accordingly. A second book that epitomizes and reinforces my identity is Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. I very much identify with the book's notion that the world is not black and white; events and actions do not have one correct, universally recognized representation. One must always recognize the shades of grey in life's events.

While items that an individual selects as representative of is identity are important; I put more credence in items selected by other individuals. Identity is very much a constant dialogue. It has become a cliche to claim that "I don't let other people shape me/care what they think"; however, the representation of self seen by other individuals is often the most truthful. While we may have an "inner-identity", how outside individuals view and engage our public identity helps shape the actual identity. Whether it is pierogis mailed from my grandmother, pictures sent from my mom or movies gifted from my brother, many of my current possessions are representative of how I convey my identity - individuals, in this case, family members, imagine my identity and act upon it, sharing items that (they believe) are complementary to my identity. There is definite truth in how others consider your identity; these beliefs do not arise from nothingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment